A Brief History of the Church of St Mary Magdalene

Late History of St Mary Magdalene Church 1906-1929

1906

The West, North and South walls were repaired as far as the Chancel at a cost of £43 10s.

August 1928

A complete restoration of the Church was undertaken by the vicar, Rev G.B.Ince, helped by the 1st Sutton and Shopland Troop Boy Scouts. No grants were applied for. The old box pews were removed and replaced by what critics described as ‘very common wooden chairs’. The brass Lectern donated by Frederick Thackeray was placed in the tool shed and a ‘common worm eaten one’ was put in its place. The entire Church was refloored, replastered and white washed

February 23rd 1929

Shopland Church was Re-Hallowed by the Rural Dean (Canon E.N.Gowing) His concluding statement at the service was:

‘Here in Shopland was an atmosphere of prayer that they could not and did not want to get rid of.’

Just four years later he was pressing strongly for the closure of the Church!